Note from SSS
Hope 2017 is off to a great start!
The Belizean Grove has some exciting things planned for the year ahead – be sure to read everything below and visit our website as we are constantly updating and making new additions to the content.
The 2017 Annual Retreat in Cuba was exciting! Thank you to the entire Cuba Retreat Committee for all their hard work and excellent planning, and especially to our fearless co-chairs, Marilu Kernan, Maureen Strahan, Jill Kanin-Lovers.
The Program was very informative and exciting with plenty of time for fun!
Check for updates from the trip on our website in the next few weeks.
Santa Fe Mini Retreat
TEN REASONS TO JOIN YOUR SISTER GROVERS IN THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT AND THE CITY DIFFERENT: SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO SEPTEMBER 14-16, 2017
10) Learn why Santa Fe is called “the city different” and how the diversity of this community, culture and our creative thinking is a model for our future. Programs include experts from the world renowned Santa Fe Institute, archeologists at the School for American Research, innovators in technology & design, world class artists and brilliant cultural historians.
9) Explore the mysteries and histories of the Native American and Hispanic cultures and their influence on art and culture in America. Offerings include visits to the archives at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, her home and studio in Abiquiu, potters at the Santa Clara Puebla, meeting George R.R. Martin (author of Game of Thrones) and visit his groundbreaking Meow Wolf Art Installation.
8) Come early and stay longer for trips to the ruins of Chaco Canyon (an ancient Native ceremonial center and Unesco World Heritage Sites), Taos Pueblo and museums, the sacred Santuario de Chimayo, the cliff dwellings at Bandilier, and time for hiking and discussions with locals.
7) Enjoy the cuisine of the Southwest, a unique fusion of recipes and flavors from Spanish Colonial Settlers, Cowboys, Native Americans and Mexicans.
6) Dance under the stars to John Kurzweig’s band (former lead guitar for Creed and album producer) on Friday night at Cathy Allen’s beautiful home.
5) Share table topics and experience field trips with fellow Grovers and local experts in the areas of spirituality, art, science, ecosystems, creative writing and tech transfer from the National Labs.
4) Stay in culturally interesting and historic digs at the gracious and famous La Fonda Hotel, a Fred Harvey Chain and landmark. Newly renovated, it was recently recognized as one of the Best Historic Hotels in the country.
3) “Shop til you drop” at the specially curated private Pop Up Shops at our opening party with some of the best local artists as well as and beautiful arts and crafts from the International Folk Art Market. In addition, there is great shopping right out the door of the hotel, at Museums, and art centers like Canyon Road and the Railyard District.
2) Visit world class museums for every interest…including history, art, folk art, Native American art, Spanish Colonial art, and the new Botanical Garden on Museum Hill.
1) Relax at the world famous Ten Thousand Waves Spa and enjoy special treatments on Saturday afternoon with your Grover, TARA, and NYOMI old and new friends (Trust us, you don’t want to miss this!)
Rooms are filling up fast!
AFM Grant Update
Adventures for the Mind 2016 Grant Update
The AFM board met in September and voted to award the following organization grants and scholarships:
2016 Funds Granted to date:
- Jack & Jill, $5,000
- America Solidaria, $5,000
- FAU Student Scholarships, $15,000 ($7,500 for one undergraduate student, $7,500 for one graduate student)
- Living Classrooms, $5,000
- International Folk Art Alliance, $5,000
- Mercado Global, $5,000
- Kakenya Center for Excellence, $5,075
- Unlimited World/Clear Eyes Clear Mind, $5,000
- Ten Times Ten – $5,000
- Funsepa – $5,000
- Broadleaf – $5,000
Thank you for your support!
2017 Face Book
Face Book 2017
The draft of the Face Book is ready to preview! Please take a look at your profile if you have any changes, this is your last chance to send them in before we go to print on February 17.
We added an extra layer of security to protect your information. Please click here to review the draft of the Face Book.
The password for the page can be found in the emailed copy of the newsletter or email email@example.com for it.
See what the Grovers and TARAs have been up to lately…
Tiffany Dufu was featured in the New York Times in the article How Tiffany Dufu, Author and Activist, Spends her Sundays.
Dawn Sweeney, President and CEO of the National Restaurant Association, was named Executive of the Year by the TRENDS Association.
Charlotte Whitmore won the Enterprising Women of the Year Award for 2017! It is put on by Enterprising Women magazine. She will receive the award on April 2-4th.
Rachel Rosenblatt was named one of the top women in PR by PR News! The awards luncheon was on January 24.
Rebecca Boenigk and her husband, Bobby, were named the 2016 Community Builders of the Year by the Sul Ross Lodge. Read more about it here.
Update your profile
Haven’t updated your profile on the website yet? Not sure what to do?
Watch this short video for step-by-step instructions. (NOTE: To make the video larger – click the small “4 arrows” icon at the bottom right of the video – to the right of the HD.)
HOW TO EDIT YOUR PROFILE
“Learn how to separate the majors and the minors,
A lot of people don’t do well simply because they major in minor things.”